2 September 2012

How To Get Clean















It wasn't until the end of the field trip that it dawned on me.

 It was after we had headed up to the top of the water treatment plant and surveyed the river from which the towns folk get their water supply.

And it was after we had walked through the plant watching the dirt and impurities being removed from the water (with chemicals).

After we had watched it pass by us with carbon added.

After it had soaked and seeped it's way thorugh the sand beds that removed any lingering nasties.

And after the lime had been added to balance the PH and clear, clean water bubbled up beneath our feet in an underground holding tank. Like a gigantic swimming pool beneath our feet, the guide told us.

It was just after we were told that the last step was to add fluouride and then it was on it's way out the pipes into the community.

It was when he held up the clear cone shaped vessel that is dawned on me....this is just what CHRIST did for US. Made US clean.

This is not a new revelation to me. . I mean, I know God has made me clean. But the anelogy to me was new.

This is the work Christ does in us.

Water taken from a sludgy, dirty, unclean river and through a process is made clean: spotless, purified, acceptable, worthwhile.

Just as when we too lean into Christ we are made clean: spotless, purified, acceptable and worthy.

All our dirt is washed away.

Heb 10:22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

Psalm 51:7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Psalm 52:2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. 

1 John 1:9  If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and the cleanse us from all unrighteousness.


What can wash away our sins?  
Mat 26:28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Jesus is all about redeeming, cleansing, making clean, refining.


John 15:1-27 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. ...

Isa 1:18 "Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.

Zechariah 13:9 And I will put this third into the fire, and refine them as one refines silver, and test them as gold is tested. They will call upon my name, and I will answer them. I will say, ‘They are my people’; and they will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’”

Refining Silver
Some time ago, a few ladies met in a certain city to read the scriptures, and make them the subject of conversation. While reading the third chapter of Malachi they came upon a remarkable expression in the third verse: "And He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver." One lady's opinion was that is was intended to convey the view of the sanctifying influence of the grace of Christ. Then she proposed to visit a silversmith and report to them what he said on the subject.
She went accordingly and without telling the object of her errand, begged to know the process of refining silver, which he fully described to her. "But Sir" she said, "do you sit while the work of refining is going on?" "Oh, yes, madam," replied the silversmith; "I must sit with my eye steadily fixed on the furnace, for if the time necessary for refining be exceeded in the slightest degree, the silver will be injured."
The lady at once saw the beauty, and comfort too, of the expression, "He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver." Christ sees it needful to put His children into a furnace; His eye is steadily intent on the work of purifying, and His wisdom and love are both engaged in the best manner for them. Their trials do not come at random; "the very hairs of your head are all numbered."
As the lady was leaving the shop, the silversmith called her back, and said he had forgotten to mention that the only way that he knows when the process of purifying is complete when he sees his own image reflected in the silver....
--Author Unknown
It's a new beginning this being made clean. A journey toward being Christ-like.

May drawing near to God be a thrill that fills you with peace and joy!



3 comments:

  1. looks like a very interesting field trip
    is it local to you?
    wed be interested in checking it out next time we are up your way

    I hope you shared your revelations with your kids too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story of the silver refining. And love the way you're incorporating the Word into your days with your kids. I think that's one of the sweetest gifts of homeschooling--- the freedom to weave the Word through all you do. Keep up the great God-work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both the story of the silver refining and your own analogy with water purification. I'm wondering if somewhere there is a Christian magazine which might accept some of your thoughts or a local radio station which might run a "Thought for the day" programme.

    ReplyDelete

Kind message